Wednesday, December 6, 2017

New Browser Hyjack virus and I just got it...

Just had my Firefox infected with this hijacker. Funny thing is I am running Linux Mint and they want me to call Windows Support! That's too funny! Anyway I have the IP address of that virus and I have Kali Linux installed as well. That makes a great combination if you want to inject into someone's server and hijack it. Do on to others as you would have them do onto you!

I just did a simple clean install of Firefox and wiped the hijacker right out.

A note to Windows users: This browser hijack would take over an entire windows computer. As I am running Linux, the infection could not get outside of Firefox therefore my system is safe. Glad the Linux environment does not support .exe files!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If this happens, sometimes even a reinstall of firefox won't fix it because the trouble is actually in your profile, which does not get deleted when you reinstall Firefox. To delete the profile, go to your home directory (usually /home/ and then cd to .mozilla and delete your profile from there. Usually a cryptic number. Then re-open firefox and you are off to see the wizard. Only drawback is that you lose bookmarks, saved passwords and everything. But if you are like me, you probably have too many anyway!

Freewill said...

For the last 15 years I have removed the .mozilla folder from the home directory. I do save the xxxxx.default folder and extract the stored passwords and bookmarks. Simple c/p into the new xxxxxx.default folder with overwrite and back in business.

Freewill said...

Kinda reminds me when I used to use Dexter's Labratory to write my own tiers when I would reprogram Dave (Directv) cards. Yeah I used to own ftasolutions.com back years ago.